MCKINLEY AMBASSADOR UPDATE
In case you haven’t heard, the School Board is now considering a budget for next school year that was presented by the Superintendent on February 28. The budget includes several “tiers” of cuts: Tier 1, which are built into the base budget and will be implemented barring changes in base funding or finding other things to cut; Tier 2, which are potential cuts because even with Tier 1 there is an expected deficit of $8.9 million; and Tier 3, which are additional cuts being considered if not enough cuts from Tier 2 are implemented. You can see the full list of Tier 1, 2, and 3 cuts on pages 57-60 of the proposed budget document.
Also, keep in mind this budget is based on assumption that a proposed 1-cent tax increase from the County will be implemented. The County Board has not voted on this yet.
There are several ways that we can provide feedback about the proposed budget before the School Board votes on it later this spring. These include:
- Email the School Board AND the County Board.
The budget for APS is highly dependent on what the County chooses to allocate to APS.
- Attend a meeting, hearing, or work session.
- March 28 – Public Hearing on Superintendent’s Proposed Budget
- April 2 – School Board Budget Work Session #5
- April 2 – County Public Budget Hearing, County Board Room, 7:00 p.m.
- April 4 – County Public Tax Rate(s) Hearing, County Board Room, 7:00 p.m.
- April 9 – School Board Budget Work Session #6
- April 11 – School Board’s Proposed FY 2020 Budget (Action)
- April 12 – School Board’s Presentation to the County Board, County Board Room, 4:00 p.m. (no speakers but we can attend)
- April 15 – County Board meeting (no speakers but we can attend)
- April 18 – County Board final markup (no speakers but we can attend)
- April 23 – County Board final budget adoption
- May 2 – Public Hearing on School Board’s Proposed Budget
- May 9 – School Board Adopts FY 2020 Budget
- Attend School Board or County Board Office Hours: https://countyboard.arlingtonva.us/open-door-mondays/
We have just over a month to provide our feedback on the budget and its proposed cuts—so it is imperative that we pay close attention and act soon!
FY 2019-28 Capital Improvement Plan (CIP)
The APS Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) addresses investments needed to improve or enhance school infrastructure over the next ten years, including new schools, school additions, and major maintenance. Resources to help you learn more about the CIP include:
- Timeline, presentations, work session summaries and more at www.apsva.us/engage/cip_fy19-28/
- What’s UP, APS? podcast Episode 20 with Asst. Superintendent Leslie Peterson and Principal Planner Robert Ruiz
- Community input at www.apsva.us/engage/cip_fy19-28/community_input/
School Board Notes
For School Board meeting agendas, visit www.boarddocs.com/vsba/arlington/Board.nsf/vpublic?open; and to watch a School Board meeting live, visit www.apsva.us/school-board-meetings/watch-school-board-meetings/.
— McKinley Ambassador Lori Reale